I spent Thanksgiving with my roommate Morgan, my roommate Brian, and Brian’s parents who were visiting from Chicago. Coincidentally, it was also Brian’s birthday, and instead of a cake we put candles on top of the cornbread stuffing. Here’s a list of what we had:
- Turkey, seasoned with a homemade Chinese spice rub.
- Skillet cornbread stuffing
- Mashed sweet potatoes
- Baked salmon
- Quinoa salad
- White cheddar and black truffle macaroni
- Pumpkin pie
- Pecan-bourbon chocolate pie with a brûlée top (I used a candle lighter to burn the sugar)
- Vegetarian chicken pot pie (which no one ate, and we eventually threw out — pictured above)
Needless to say, Nico was happy with whatever leftovers — namely the pieces that were left from the turkey’s roasting pan.
The next day, Brian took his parents out to the city. They were so impressed with the pies, they got me a culinary torch from Chelsea Market. I guess stay tuned for more technically-advanced desserts in the future!